Why Choose Crete for your Greek Holidays?
This page may contain affiliate links, see our disclaimer here.
Why Choose Crete - a good way to answer that question is
to tell you about Crete is and what it is not!
Crete is well known for its:
These are some of the things that attract travellers to take
their holidays in Crete and here is why we love Crete.
Why We Love Crete
- Crete has variety and unique mix of landscapes
found nowhere else in Greece
- Cretan character is independent and unique
- The Cretan music - we love it! – it is wild,
wilful and melancholy
- The mountains are as untamed and rugged as the
- The beaches on Crete are remote, unspoiled and
the water is crystal clear pristine paradise
- The food is so fresh and tasty and full of vitality
- The history is endless and surrounds you,
wherever you look there is another story
- Crete is one of the most hospitable places in Greece
Why Choose Crete for
your Greek Vacation?
Why choose Crete - here are some reasons to choose Crete as either your
only destination or major destination on your Greek holidays:
You can fly directly to Crete from most major
capitals in Europe, avoiding crowds, traffic and busy Athens airport
- There are two international airports in Crete
with excellent facilities and services
- Crete is not crowded with package tourists
- As the largest Greek island, Crete has loads of
wide open spaces, uncrowded beaches and clear, clean waters
- Because it is a large island, there is lots to
explore and you will never get ‘island fever’
- The history of Crete is unique for Greece, the
Minoan civilisation was the birthplace of civilisation
- Anyone will tell you that Kritiki musiki is in a
world of its own, not found anywhere else on the planet, unique and stirring,
it forms the heart of Crete and her poetic character
- Crete is really well set up for Agro Tourism and
Eco Tourism and you can experience the real life of the island here, travel
sustainably and make a contribution to local lives
If none of those reasons is good enough, how about sheer
beauty? Check out the scenery on this video of Crete:
Day Trips and Activities
Why choose Crete
- once you have relaxed on the beach, snoozed, paddled, swum,
snoozed again and (shock, horror!), want to get up from the beach, there is
plenty to do in Crete.
There is so much to explore on an island 60 x 260 km, with
four mountain ranges, hundreds of beaches, four major towns and many, many
You can enjoy guided or unguided trips to the following
popular places in Crete:
Guided activities such as these can all be enjoyed in Crete:
- Cycling Trips
- Creativity Tours
- Motorcycle Tours
- Sailing Trips
- Yoga and Health Retreats
Relaxing at a seaside taverna - nothing gets better than this waterside cafe on the south coast of Crete
What Crete is NOT!
- Crete is not a classic small Greek island with
white-washed cubed architecture, although this style of architecture is found in Crete
- Crete is not a small island where you get bored
after two days
- Crete is not a touristic island where you have
to bump into Euro trash in crowded narrow lane ways, spend a fortune and get
home with a shopping hangover
- Crete does not have pick pockets, smog, trash in
the streets or horrible traffic
- Crete is not a party island, you can party hard if you choose to
- Crete is not an over-developed, high rise, tacky
- Crete is not a little Britain or little Berlin
or over sold to foreign interests
- Crete does not have a beach named ‘Super Paradise’
with loud doof-doof music and sprawling bodies writhing to the beat!
- Crete is not like any other Greek island!
Greek Holidays on Crete
So now you know what Crete is not, what type of Greek
holidays can you enjoy here?
- Beach holidays not just on famous
beaches, there are miles of beaches, there are secluded ones, family friendly
ones, island beaches, you have hundreds to choose from!
- Spring breaks
from April to June
- Summer breaks in July & August
breaks from September to November
breaks November to March
Harvest from November to January
stays are popular, weekends, long weekends and 5 day stays. Get a taste of
hopping en route to another Greek Island holiday destination are popular,
particularly for international visitors. There isn't another island quite like
Crete in the Greek islands
holidays; Crete has beautiful bird life, wild flowers, forests and a unique
ecology to enjoy
getaways; in luxury spa resorts, country hideaways or pensions
- Walking, hiking
and rambling holidays from May to
- Wind surfing holidays; come and watch the pros, learn to windsurf or see what
you can surf whilst you are here
and cuisine holidays; learn how to cook and or enjoy the fresh organic
local vegies and fruit, benefit from the healthy Mediterranean diet, including vegan, vegetarian and foraging holidays
- Scuba diving and snorkelling holidays; learn to dive or simply experience some of the clearest
visibility in the Mediterranean
and rock climbing holidays; many clubs and organised tours explore the vast
mountain ranges and especially the rocky gorges which are perfect for walking, climbing, abseiling and canyoning up or down
- History-buff holidays; for those who love to explore ancient archaeological sites
- Naturist holidays; for those who love their Greek holidays in the buff!
- Family holidays, you can please every
member of the family here!
Tell us your stories
We trust you enjoy your Greek holidays, and ask that you share your stories and images with us here.
Getting to Crete
Take a 1 hour flight from Athens to Heraklion with Aegean Airlines or Olympic Air, with many flights available per day.
Or take a 9.5 hour overnight ferry from Pireaus port of Athens to Heraklion port.
More on flights and ferries below.
Car hire in Crete is a really good idea as it is a large island 60 km by 260 km. There is so much to explore.
When you book with our car rental partners - Rental Centre Crete - you
are supporting a
local company with excellent service and an easy online booking
procedure. We are sure you will be well looked after by the
team. Choose from hybrid or non-hybrid vehicles.
"We trust you have enjoyed these tips from the team at We Love Crete. Evíva!"
with further questions or feedback. We love to hear about your travels
in Kríti and Greece. Let us know of any updates or additions, errors or
omissions. Help us make this website the best it can be. Kaló Taxidí!