One Week Road Trip from Heraklion Crete
Hello, We will be in Crete for a week and fly in/out of Heraklion.
We'd like to visit archaeological sites, ruins, places of interest and natural wonders. We are picking up a car for the trip from the airport.
We also like authentic tavernas and cosy / interesting family run places to stay as opposed to large package holiday hotels.
Please send some ideas for an itinerary. We don't mind staying in different places each night.
Road Trip in Crete
We have put together our best thoughts that include your ideas into two great itineraries which are off the beaten track, that is they take back roads and less common paths through the real inland Crete.
Here you will discover archaeological sites, ruins, nature at its best, small villages humming with life, tavernas with fresh local food, genuine interest and hospitality from the locals, and much, much more.
Both these trips commence and finish in Heraklion.One week exploring Western Crete...Mini Guide for Exploring Eastern Crete...
Each trip can be taken and changed to meet your needs, and each is totally independent. There are good, small family owned guesthouses, pensions and places to stay, suggestions for side trips and plenty of local knowledge packed into each mini-guide...
The guide to the west of Crete includes:
• The Minoan Palace of Knossos - Archaeological Site
• Zaros Village - a pretty mountain village
• Amari Valley - drive through the lesser used mountain and valley roads from Heraklion to Rethymnon
• Old Town Rethymnon - explore the cross roads of history in the old town lane ways
• Lake Kournas - an option to visit this cooling lake
• Old Town Chania - choose to visit this old zone or stay in smaller villages
• Samaria Gorge or Agia Irini Gorge
• Balos Lagoon
• Topolia Gorge
• Elafonisi Beach
The mini-guide to the east of the island visits:
• Knossos Ancient Site and wine country
• Lasithi Plateau - fresh mountain food
• Dikti Cave - also known as Psychro Cave
• Elounda - on one of the prettiest bays of Crete
• Spinalonga Island - with a turbulent history
• Agios Nikolaos - a thriving modern town
• Sitia - a very Cretan town with its own pace
• Kato Zakros - a tiny beachside enclave near the ruins of the Minoan Palace of Zakros
• Zakros Palace
• Vai Beach and Palm Forest
• Kritsa mountain village
Have a good trip!
Kalo Taxidi! Bon Voyage!