Greek Holidays - We are guessing that a good way to answer that question is to tell you about Crete is and what it is not!
Crete is well known for its:
• amazing beaches
• great weather
• ancient history especially Knossos Palace
• hiking especially the beautiful Gorge of Samaria
• food, wine, tavernas and cafes
lifestyle and very friendly and generous people
• organic farming especially olives
• cosmopolitan historic towns
These are some of the things that attract travellers to take
their holidays in Crete and here is why we love Crete...
• Crete has variety and unique mix of landscapes found nowhere else in Greece
• Cretan character is independent and unique
• The Cretan music - we love it! – it is wild, wilful and melancholy
• The mountains are as untamed and rugged as the people
• The beaches on Crete are remote, unspoilt and
the water is crystal clear pristine paradise
• The food is so fresh and tasty and full of vitality
• The history is endless and surrounds you, wherever you look there is another story
• Crete is one of the most hospitable places in Greece
It is difficult to choose between the various beautiful locations within Greece. Here are some reasons to choose Crete as either your only destination or major destination on your Greek holidays:
• You can fly directly to Crete from most major capitals in Europe, avoiding crowds, traffic and busy Athens airport
• There are two international airports in Crete with excellent facilities and services
• Crete is not crowded with package tourists
• As the largest Greek island, Crete has loads of wide open spaces, uncrowded beaches and clear, clean waters
• Because it is a large island, there is lots to explore and you will never get ‘island fever’
• The history of Crete is unique for Greece, the Minoan civilisation was the birthplace of civilisation
• Anyone will tell you that Kritiki musiki is in a world of its own, not found anywhere else on the planet, unique and stirring, it forms the heart of Crete and her poetic character
• Crete is really well set up for Agro Tourism and Eco Tourism and you can experience the real life of the island here, travel sustainably and make a contribution to local lives
If none of those reasons is good enough, how about sheer beauty? Check out the scenery on this video of Crete:
Once you have relaxed on the beach, snoozed, paddled, swum, snoozed again and (shock, horror!), want to get up from the beach, there is plenty to do in Crete.
There is so much to explore on an island 60 x 260 km, with four mountain ranges, hundreds of beaches, four major towns and many, many fascinating villages.
You can enjoy guided or unguided trips to the following popular places in Crete:
Guided activities such as these can all be enjoyed in Crete:
• Cycling Trips
• Creativity Tours
• Motorcycle Tours
• Sailing Trips
• Crete is not a classic small Greek island with
white-washed cubed architecture, although this style of architecture is found in Crete
• Crete is not a small island where you get bored after two days
• Crete is not a touristic island where you have to bump into Euro trash in crowded narrow lane ways, spend a fortune and get home with a shopping hangover
• Crete does not have pick pockets, smog, trash in the streets or horrible traffic
• Crete is not a party island, you can party hard if you choose to
• Crete is not an over-developed, high rise, tacky resort island
• Crete is not a little Britain or little Berlin
or over sold to foreign interests
• Crete does not have a beach named ‘Super Paradise’ with loud doof-doof music and sprawling bodies writhing to the beat!
• Crete is not like any other Greek island!
So now you know what Crete is not, what type of Greek holidays can you enjoy here?
• Beach holidays not just on famous beaches, there are miles of beaches, there are secluded ones, family friendly ones, island beaches, you have hundreds to choose from!
• Spring breaks from April to June
• Summer breaks in July & August
• Autumn breaks from September to November
• Winter breaks November to March
• Olive Harvest from November to January
• Short stays are popular, weekends, long weekends and 5 day stays. Get a taste of the island.
• Island hopping en route to another Greek Island holiday destination are popular, particularly for international visitors. There isn't another island quite like Crete in the Greek islands
• Nature-lovers holidays; Crete has beautiful birdlife, wild flowers, forests and a unique ecology to enjoy
• Romantic getaways; in luxury spa resorts, country hideaways or pensions
• Hiking and rambling holidays from May to October
• Wind surfing holidays; come and watch the pros, learn to windsurf or see what you can surf whilst you are here
• Cooking and cuisine holidays; learn how to cook and or enjoy the fresh organic local vegies and fruit, benefit from the healthy Mediterranean diet
• Scuba diving holidays; learn to dive or simply experience some of the clearest visibility in the Mediterranean
• Mountain and rock climbing holidays; many clubs and organised tours explore the vast mountain ranges
• History-buff holidays; for those who love to explore ancient archaeological sites
• Naturist holidays; for those who love their Greek holidays in the buff!
• Family holidays, you can please every member of the family here!
We trust you enjoy your Greek holidays, and ask that you share your stories and images with us here