Greece Budget Travel - it is still possible to travel in Greece very cheaply.
Take the local buses. Take the ferries. Stay in small pensions or rooms for rent known as domatia. Bargain for the price, especially in shoulder seasons.
Here we show you some of the good budget accommodation in some beautiful parts of Greece.
On many of our accommodation pages, all over our site, you will find this blue and white backpack symbol as the budget symbol, showing really good value and low prices.
• In Athens, stay at Hotel Byron in Plaka, nice and central, just at the base of the Acropolis and just down from the Acropoli Metro station, and literally around the corner from the new Acropolis Museum. From Athens Airport change at Syntagma and it is the first stop.
• In Syros, stay at Hotel Aegli just a couple of streets back from the harbour in Ermoupolis, with a lovely view and central location. This feels like a boutique hotel but without the price tag. Beautifully restored neoclassical architecture on the charming streets of Ermoupolis. Very handy to everything and no problems leaving your bag there until you catch the ferry...
• In Mykonos, stay close to everything in Christina Studios, a small courtyard with only nine rooms, one of the cheapest you will find in Mykonos town, and close to everything especially Little Venice and the windmills.
• In Santorini, avoid the crowds and stay in budget comfort at Villa Elkaza, which is an offbeat little place away from the edge and the hustle bustle, wonderfully stylish with good internet connection and friendly service. Saving in Santorini! Unheard of!
• In Chania, stay in the Pension Eva (left) in the old town for plenty of atmosphere at an affordable price. There is a good rooftop balcony for relaxing, it is right in the middle of the old town surrounded by stylish streets and close to the harbour, yet has a budget price tag.
• In Rethymnon, the character of the town is in the old zone. A budget option within this beautiful section of town is the Afroditi Hotel, surrounded by narrow laneways and Venetian architecture, you are just a hop skip and jump from stylish cafes and tavernas.
• Heraklion has a good budget option in the good, safe and central Mirabello Hotel
• In Agios Nikolaos stay at the cheap, good Pergola Hotel close to the harbour and lake. The owner even picked up us from the bus station and dropped us off to catch the ferry!
The Happy Walker (above) have a range of affordable walks around Rethymnon, in central Crete. Cheap prices for daily walks without all the touristic hullabaloo, just good walking experiences with knowledgeable walkers. These routes are off the beaten track and offer a real insight into the local countryside.
Aori Walks are for serious, fit walkers, these hikes are across the White Mountains in western Crete. Anne Deckel is an experienced high mountain walker who offers summer and winter programs including the 'high desert' at the top of the Lefka Ori range (above).
Greece Budget Travel - do your homework with history and guidebooks and you will save yourself money, and no doubt enjoy your holiday much more, a little bit of local knowledge goes a long way.
Check out our pages about travel in Greece, on her beautiful islands and tips for a great stay in Athens. Lookout for Greece budget travel tips on most of our accommodation pages.
Athens Stopover Tips on how to enjoy Athens and budget accommodation.
Santorini Ferries, flights and more. How to enjoy a visit to Santorini from Crete.
Mykonos home of bright light, sandy beaches and beautiful white-washed streets, this beautiful island in the Cyclades is full of surprises...
Rhodes How to get to this island in the Dodecanese, and exploring the island.