Crete to Santorini in April
I am really thankful for this website, really thankful!
I am thinking of visiting Crete in April from 17th to 21st of April because I bought the travel tour from Groupon. I am quite disappointed to see some of the activity tours / day tours don't quite operate in April, most of them start in May.
I am worried that I might not have much to do in Crete and Santorini by the time I'm there. So are there any tips? Will I be able to go to Santorini from Crete at that time? Will there be a lot to do in Crete at that time? e.g. boat tours, jeep tours etc.?
Thank you very much for your great efforts.
April in Crete & Santorini
Yes, you are correct there may be fewer organised tours in April and they start in May. Also the Samaria Gorge opens in May.
On the plus side, April is a beautiful month with spring weather and wild flowers. Take the local bus, ask at your hotel, visit the relaxed cafes and tavernas with the locals, don't rush around and just be happy to avoid the tourists! In Santorini
Info for getting from Crete to Santorini
any time of the year...
• The weather in Santorini in April is mild with average temps 13-18 degrees C and 11 hours of sunshine per day, on average.
• You could take the scenic hike along the edge of the caldera from Fira to Oia with breath-taking views all the way.
Visit the vineyards, which not many people know are there, growing unique grapes in the volcanic soils. Visit Argryros Estate, Santo and Sigalas Wineries.
• You will have much better options for accommodation in Santorini
, better rates and it won't be so crowded.
• Why not try a Cave Hotel? These are the famous caves of Santorini where historically dwellings were built into the side of the cliff edge. Wonderful hotels exist today to create the same experience, with a few more modern comforts. The Perivola Cave Suite
in Oia is beautiful.In Crete
• Contact the Happy Walker
for ideas, they often take group walks in the off season outside of Rethymnon...
• Take the bus over the mountains to Chora Sfakion
on the south coast and ask for a room and a local boat trip...
• Or perhaps take the bus to the little village of Plaka north of Elounda and ask for a personal boat ride out to the island of Spinalonga
, and arrange a time to be picked up.
• If you would like to arrange a private guide, who could drive and show you around, try the 'tours by locals' website here
• Or try George, a professional licensed tour guide
with a good knowledge of Crete...
• The Heraklion Archaeological Museum
and Knossos Palace Archaeological Site
are open from 1st April on summer opening times - 8am to 8pm.
There is plenty to see and do in both Santorini and Crete in April, without the crowds of summer.
Kalo Taxidi! Bon Voyage!